Interventional cardiology is a branch of cardiology that specifically deals with catheter-based structural heart disease treatments. An interventional cardiologist is a cardiologist who has one to two years of additional education and training in treating cardiovascular diseases.
It is recommended to consult the best cardiologist in Kolkata or any other city for congenital and structural heart conditions. You can make an online appointment to contact an interventional cardiologist. They specialize in treating heart and blood vessel diseases using non-surgical techniques. They diagnose coronary artery diseases, heart valve disorders and other heart problems. They are also highly skilled in dealing with heart complications.
What Does An Interventional Cardiologist Do?
An interventional cardiologist deals with the following:
- Examine a patient’s medical history and tell them about their heart problems. Also, they provide preventive measures associated with the patient’s health.
- Performs physical examination, which includes evaluating blood pressure, heart, lungs, and blood vessels.
- Interprets laboratory, imaging examinations and prescribes medication accordingly.
- Treats acute and chronic diseases that can affect heart and blood vessels, including coronary heart disease, angina, arrhythmias, and heart attack.
- Performs procedures including cardiac catheterization and coronary angioplasty
- Works with your primary care doctor and other health care team members to provide the best care. They also give consultations through online appointments for patients who can’t visit them personally.
Tests Performed By An Interventional Cardiologist
The best cardiologist in Kolkata performs various diagnostic screenings and tests. These are as follows :
- Cardiac enzyme test to check if there is any damage in the heart
- Cardiac stress test if the heart has decreased blood supply because of coronary heart disease.
- Echocardiogram to look at the structure and function of the heart.
- Electrocardiogram to track heart rhythm
- Holter monitor to check the heartbeat rate over a certain period.
- General health tests like urinalysis, sugar test, complete blood count, chest x-ray, kidney and liver function test, cholesterol panel, thyroid hormone test and blood pressure screening
Procedures Performed By An Interventional Cardiologist
The best cardiologist in Kolkata or any other city performs various procedures and treatments to treat heart and blood vessels related conditions. They are not typical cardiac surgeons. A cardiac or thoracic surgeon is best preferred for any heart surgery. An interventional cardiologist performs the following procedures:
- Alcohol septal ablation to treat obstructive cardiomyopathy. Angioplasty, stent placement to open blocked arteries due to any coronary heart disease.
- Cardiac catheterization to track the function of the heart to locate blocked arteries
- Heart valve repair and heart valve replacement includes mitral and aortic valvuloplasty implantation.
- Management of cardiac emergencies like a heart attack when consulted over online appointments.
- Repair of congenital disabilities like atrial septal defects and patent foramen ovale.
When To Consult An Interventional Cardiologist
Seek urgent medical care from the best cardiologist in Kolkata, Delhi or any other city when you experience:
- Changes in the electrocardiogram test indicate coronary artery blockage.
- Unstable angina, heart attack or any heart valve disease
- Chest pain gradually moves towards the shoulder, arm, neck or jaw.
- Passing out
- Shortness of breath.
You can even consult a doctor with an online appointment for immediate remedy. An interventional cardiologist will examine your heart problems that require treatment through a specialized procedure. In the case of the emergency room, immediate consultation should be taken.
Training And Certification Of An Interventional Cardiologist
The selection of the correct interventional cardiologist is critical. They should be board certified. It verifies that the cardiologist has completed the training program and experienced interventional cardiology. The best cardiologist in Kolkata, or in fact, any city, will have:
- Graduation from a medical school or college of osteopathic medicine.
- Residency training and certification exam in internal medicine.
- Additional training and certificate exams in both cardiology and interventional cardiolog
The Bottom Line
An interventional cardiologist is best for treating and diagnosing all heart-related problems. For best consultation, you should refer to the best Cardiologist in Kolkata. They use non-surgical options or use catheter-based procedures to treat.
A person who cannot consult a doctor physically can go for an online appointment to get their problems treated. Any change in the heart rate or breathing should not be taken lightly, and immediate medical attention should be sought.